I felt privileged to have been invited to have lunch at LandWorks, Dartington last Friday, January 15th, 2019 to show them my two failed quilt attempts.
The idea is that, although I have abandoned the idea of showing the quilt at my exhibition, I am still determined to succeed in making one up and auctioning it for the LandWorks charity.
The lunch, spaghetti bolognese, was very juicy, as evidenced by the splashes on my white polo shirt front. When I spoke to those dozen or so present about my quilt and how it came into being, there was quite a lot of interest shown. They generally appreciated the use of recycled denim jeans as the surround & they could identify the plants and livestock from their gardens.
I enjoyed the chats I had with those present after my presentation as well as going into the pottery shed afterwards where Sarah showed me the varied work made, and spoke about her three successful attempts at getting Arts Council funding for her projects at LW. Having seen how much commitment that requires, I really appreciated her success. Sarah spoke about the chats she has in her 1:1 sessions with those who come to gain skills.
The quilt mark 2 fell short in my estimation because it had faded considerably since it was made. I felt that the images on it had lost their definition and were less sharp than those I had made for quilt mark 1. I had abandoned quilt mark 1 because there was no consistency among the images in terms of sharpness and visible detail.
A second factor was that I had made the cyanotypes on smaller squares which meant that there were squares within squares which was not on my original design.
The main difference in the prints was exposure time and distance from the UVA source. After I had abandoned mark 1 for lack of consistency, I read an article I had kept since 2013 which advised a distance of 40cm from the UVA source and an exposure time of 20mins. In mark 1, I had experimented with different things but the consistency was an exposure time of 6 mins and a distance from source of 10cm. I have since done yet another experiment of time and distance using the same negative but on calico:
Regardless of the material used, the image on shorter distance and time will take longer to fade than that made with longer distance and time.
Mark 3 will, therefore, use the shorter distance and time and, hopefully, will produce more stable, consistent prints.